Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pipes like Sinatra. Moves like Jagger.

Music is an important part of everyday life in the Ring household, and rightfully so. I remember when I was really young, I would gather with my sister and cousins to “rock out” in my grandparents’ basement to John Denver and Elton John albums. Then, when I was in junior high, there were the midnight rock concerts that took place in the room my sister and I shared. We listened to everything from Rick Springfield to Molly Hatchet.


My husband has been a music aficionado all his life; however, his tastes in music are much broader and more sophisticated than mine. I don’t know anyone who knows more about or appreciates music more than Marvin. He is definitely my “Phone a Friend” whenever I encounter a music-related question I can’t answer.

As you can imagine, we have quite an eclectic collection of music and a gargantuan itunes library. There is always music playing, someone bursting into song, or an impromptu dance party at our house. 

Research shows that music stimulates developmental skills; can help manage pain and stressful situations; and encourages socialization, self-expression, and communication. Music is highly motivating, yet it can also have a calming and relaxing effect.  In a household as busy and hectic as ours, there is no doubt that music makes a difference. And, when we need to work out some frustration or just feel better about ourselves, we frequently crank up the music and dance around the living room.
 
One of the first gifts Marvin gave me after we got married was an ipod mini with a custom message engraved on the back – don’t be afraid to sing along. Well, I never have been, and neither have my kids. There is a certain joy that comes from hearing your four-year-old sweetly singing, “In the town where I was born, lived a man who sailed the sea.” Then, it quickly turns to laughter when you hear the same child sing, “I got the moo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ves like Jagger…” So, today's special thing about Evan is that he is not afraid to sing along, and I hope he never will be!

OLIVIA'S STREAK

 


No comments:

Post a Comment