Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Happy Nurses' Week

There was a time when I was growing up that I wanted to be a nurse, until I realized that I don't like being around sick people...

With all of the doctors Evan sees on a regular basis, we definitely have an appreciation for nurses, but there is one nurse who has made a huge impact on all of our lives.

I met Carolyn in the Summer of 2006, and we were instant friends. I knew she was a nurse, and I had a nephew who was facing surgery to remove a quarter he had eaten. Carolyn volunteered to help in any way she could. Fortunately, that surgery never had to happen (if you know what I mean).

When I was five months pregnant with Evan, my husband faced and conquered a very serious surgery, and she was at my side through it all, making sure I took good care of the baby and myself. Then, she helped me through a long and difficult pregnancy. I will never forget her filling in for Marvin at one of my many ultrasound appointments. The technician was measuring Evan's head and started spouting on and on, "That is a HUGE head. Oh, my God, that baby has the biggest head." Carolyn looked at her and said sternly, "What are you thinking? You should NEVER say that to a pregnant woman!"

So, when Evan's scheduled delivery arrived, Carolyn was the one special person we wanted to be with us to celebrate his birth. As a former labor and delivery nurse, she knew the drill and  had connections - she was even friends with my "official" nurse and the anesthesiologist! We were lucky to have her there, because she almost delivered Evan while we were waiting for my doctor to arrive. She literally screamed for the doctor  just in time to bring Evan into the world!

In all seriousness, Carolyn is one of the most genuine, caring, giving, and spiritual people we know. So, when it was time for us to decide on a Godmother for Evan, we didn't think twice about Carolyn. Today's special thing about Evan is that Carolyn is his Godmother. We are blessed to have her in our lives and in his life!

OLIVIA'S STREAK























No comments:

Post a Comment