Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Peepah's Legacy

I have always been extremely close to my extended family. We grew up living down the street from my aunt and her family and my grandparents, so we spent alot of quality time together.

My grandparents were genuinely wonderful people, who served as a good example for me and the rest of their grandchildren. They were loving, hard working, generous, strong, and married for 67 years!

By the time I got married and had children, my grandparents had passed away. But, every so often I think about how much they would have loved Marvin, Nicholas, Olivia, and Evan. I hope they would have been proud of me, my family, and my achievements.

Almost five years ago, I caught a glimpse of my grandfather, who we called Peepah, the day Evan was born. The nurse put him on the scale to weigh him, and I swear my grandfather's eyes were looking right at me. Even today, sometime Evan looks at me in a certain way, and I'm sure that I'm looking right at a little Peepah.

The truth is my Peepah was an amazing man. He had a successful career, taught at a local technical high school, and served on our town's finance committee for 34 years. He was also a long-time member of the Lion's Club, the Chairman of our local United Way campaign, and a member of his church's parish council.

In my eyes, he was a hard worker, brilliantly smart, and a dog lover. He loved M&Ms and circus peanuts. He patiently helped me with my math homework, made up silly songs about dogs and washing machines, and loved God and his family.

I know that I have inherited some of Peepah's traits, and pray I can pass some of these onto my children. Today's special thing about Evan is that he reminds me of my amazing grandfather, and he definitely shares his love of M&Ms.

OLIVIA'S STREAK

Our poor puppy, Lilly, has to wear an e-collar. So, Olivia drew a picture of her...



No comments:

Post a Comment