Thursday, May 10, 2012

Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming

"The thing about Evan is that he never thinks he can't." Those words, spoken today by Miss Anna Marie, the Director of Evan's daycare, Bright Ideas, represented an "a-ha" moment for me.

Each summer, Bright Ideas offers swim lessons. Swim lessons represent a rite of passage for the older kids, and the younger kids know it. Last summer, Evan desperately wanted to participate, but he wasn't quite potty trained yet.

Secretly,  I was relieved that he wasn't quite ready for swimming. I wasn't completely comfortable with the notion of my baby boy in a big pool of water, especially since he has very limited use of his right hand and not much experience with water other than the tub. I admit it...I was afraid.

Well, Evan came home from daycare last week and announced that he was going to take swimming lessons this summer. So, Marvin and I decided, before we signed him up, that we would check with Anna Marie to make sure she thought they could accommodate him. She said that he tells her every day that he is taking swimming lessons this summer, and she thinks that he should try. Then, she said that he never thinks he can't, and she is right. More importantly, he is right.

Naturally, I'm left thinking, how will he swim? Will be be able to propel forward with his right hand? Will he be able to use his right leg enough to kick? Are his legs strong enough? Will he be able to keep up with the other kids? Will he continue to think he can? Clearly, I'm still afraid.

I guess it doesn't matter what I think. Anna Marie is right, he thinks he can, and that's what is special about Evan today.

OLIVIA'S STREAK

Mommy shaking her butt

No comments:

Post a Comment