Saturday, May 19, 2012

My Baby

As the parent of one step-son, a daughter, and a son, I can confirm and testify that mothers love each of their children the same amount. I feel a great deal of love for each of my kids. What is different is the kind of love that I feel for each of them.

Nicholas was my first "child." He was eight years old when his Dad and I got married and I was instantly thrown into motherhood. I'm not complaining. While I didn't have to deal with midnight feedings, terrible twos, or potty training, Nick taught me what it was like to be a mother. Over the years, Nick and I have developed a deep bond that sometimes surprises me. I am so proud of the young man that he has become, and I love him like he was my own.

Olivia is and will always be my little girl (and she is 100 percent girl). I've loved her beautiful spirit from the day she was born. She is caring, sensitive, outgoing, sassy, and spirited, and I love her so much that sometimes it hurts. In many ways, she is like me, and in many other ways, she is what I wish I could be. I truly enjoy hanging out with Olivia and doing "girly" things with her, and I am blessed to be her Mom.

Then, there is Evan. As much as he protests that he is not a baby, he is and always will be my baby. When Evan was born, I didn't know for sure but I suspected that he would be our last child, so I cherished every moment of his infant stage. I enjoyed every minute of his toddlerhood, and am loving his transformation into a little boy. I love Evan more than words can say. His achievements and hard work overwhelm me. His positive attitude and love of life amaze me. He is my baby, but he has taught me so much!

So, the special thing about Evan today is that he is my baby! And, according to birth order personality traits, youngest children are social and outgoing and want to have a good time. That's my Evan, whether he likes it or not.

OLIVIA'S STREAK

No comments:

Post a Comment