Monday, May 14, 2012

Evan's not so routine routine

I understand that kids thrive on schedules and routines, and my kids are no different. Each night, after pajamas are on and  hugs and kisses distributed, we go through Evan's routine:
1. Vitamins with Daddy
2. Brush teeth with Mommy
3. Olivia hides in Evan's room
4. Evan finds her
5. Evan gets in his bed
6. Olivia sings "Crazy Puppy" or "Puppy Opera"
7. Mommy sings whichever puppy song Olivia doesn't sing
8. Mommy sings a variation of Harry Belafonte's "Small One," and Evan throws all of his stuffed animals out of his bed
9. Mommy gathers up the animals and sings, "Take Evan's Friends Out to the Ballgame."
10. Mommy gives Evan hugs and kisses
11. Evan traps Mommy in a headlock during the hug
12. Evan calls to Daddy to rescue Mommy and tells Mommy, "I guess you'll have to stay here with me."
Admittedly, sometimes the routine gets old, but every so often it changes a little bit - maybe to make it more tolerable or to keep me on my toes.

I don't know why tonight's change in routine affected me, but it was a little sad. There was no headlock after the hug. There was no calling to Daddy. There was no telling me, "I guess you'll have to stay here with me." There was no prying myself away and running out the door.

Maybe Evan understands that, while some routines are important, change is inevitable, necessary, and good. So, today's special thing about Evan is that  he adapts well to change, even if his Mom is still learning.

OLIVIA'S STREAK

We're not sure if we like America's Got Talent nearly as much as The Voice...


No comments:

Post a Comment